At SW1, making you beautiful is just one of our priorities. Reducing carbon footprint is another. Preservatives are commonly used in products to prolong their shelf-life but these chemicals inevitably go down the drain and back into our water system, adversely affecting not just the aquatic plants and animals which ingest them, but also the other animals higher up in the food chain. In 2015 alone, a total of 75,000 metric tonnes of preservative were used in cosmetic products globally.
The solution? Source for natural preservatives or use oil-based products.
Why oils can be good for you?
First up, oils aren’t ideal environments for nasties like bacteria, yeast and mould to flourish. With an oil-based product, you don’t have to worry about contamination of such sorts and be rest assured you’re using only what you’re supposed to for your face.
Read More: Oscars: A Beauty Edition
For another, oils are what keeps our skin soft and supple. Sure, we need to stay hydrated from the inside with water. But oil is what’s needed on the outside for skin to function well and promote healthy, glowing skin. In fact, oils have been used thousands of years ago by the likes of Cleopatra; she was known to smooth olive oil into her skin for moisturising and antiaging effects. With the right kinds of oils, skin is rejuvenated and kept well nourished.
It isn’t uncommon to hear of misconceptions that using oils on oily skin leads to breakouts, when really, the opposite is true. Excessive exfoliation and cleansing with water, which so many people with oily skin engage in, actually cause the body to produce even more sebum. It is this excess sebum that leads to more breakouts and other oily skin problems. By using oils to cleanse and moisturize the skin, it can help to balance the sebum, leading to less oily skin and fewer breakouts.
Read More: The Stem Cell Facelift
For those who are not yet in the know, SW1 has concocted a series of in-house oils that addresses different skin concerns without the need for chemical preservatives. Your skin is happy + the earth is happy = win win.
Some of our favourites include
1. Lemon Quartz Ultra Soft Facial Cleansing Oil – a clear favourite that doubles up as a makeup remover and facial cleanser, this oil gently melts away all impurities, revealing clean, soft skin
2. Sapphire Balancing Facial Oil – made with 100% natural pure plant oils that creates a harmonious skin environment to hydrate skin without clogging pores
3. Rose Quartz Oil Moisture Lip Treatment – a luxurious lip treatment oil to plump, nourish and hydrate lips, keeping lips looking young and supple4
4. Emerald Oil Vitamin-Enriched Anti-ageing Eye Treatment – Smooth, tone and brighten the eye area for a youthful and radiant appearance
5. Gold Oil Retinol Vitamin A Anti-Aging Neck Treatment – made with certified organic coconut and jojoba oil to effectively rejuvenate the skin, with anti-wrinkle and anti-aging properties